- “Are colonics safe?”
A properly performed colonic by an experienced practitioner is safe, and will not cause harm as long as colonics are not contraindicated (see below) for that individual. In fact, quite the opposite, the purging of deeply trapped wastes from the colon facilitates a healing response in the body that, first and foremost, positively affects the colon and entire intestinal tract, liver / gall bladder, kidneys, blood stream, lymphatic system, immune system, lungs, skin, and, following that trend, the rest of the body.*
- “Can colonics be contraindicated?”
Though colonics are considered generally safe for most anyone, they are contraindicated in persons with these specific conditions:
▪ Any condition in which there is gastrointestinal bleeding or blood present in the stool (not including blood due to mild/moderate hemorrhoids).
▪ Cancer of the small intestine, colon or rectum.
▪ Anal fissure(s) or fistula, unless approved by doctor or naturopath.
▪ Abdominal hernia, unless approved by doctor or naturopath.
▪ Severe cardiac disease unless approved by doctor or naturopath.
▪ Pregnancy, during the 1st and 3rd trimester.
▪ Up to six months after colon or rectal surgery
▪ Acute, severely-inflamed, ulcerated and bleeding hemorrhoids.
- “Do colonics remove pro-biotic bacteria from the gut?”
While a small amount of pro-biotic bacteria will be flushed from the body during a colonic, it is a negligible amount. Pro-biotic organisms, like Lactobacillus, Acidophilus and other strains of “healthy” bacteria, embed themselves within, and colonize, the mucosa lining of the colon, which is not adversely affected by the drawing of pure, filtered water into and out of the large intestine during a colonic. On the contrary, because we are working to remove stagnant (decomposing wastes) from the colon, in which inhospitable microorganisms make their home (think: Candida Albicans, Salmonella, Ecoli), we are actually creating a more hospitable environment for pro-biotic organisms to thrive.
- “How do I prepare for a colonic?”
Preparation for a colonic, will undoubtably increase one’s potential for ease and thorough release during a session. Seeing as everyone who comes to Chakra 17 West is in a different place, in terms of diet, nutritional awareness, internal stagnation, and so forth, the best way to prepare for a colonic is to simplify your diet. Upping your intake of fresh vegetables (raw or cooked) and fruits, decreasing one’s intake of meat, dairy, refined carbohydrates and starches, and the avoidance of processed or pre-packaged foods is ideal. Including, if one can, freshly pressed vegetable juice, green-smoothies, lemon water (lots of it), aloe vera juice, and other liquid-rich foods like vegetable broths and soups, can be extraordinarily beneficial. For more more thorough instruction on how to prepare for, click HERE.
- How can I expect to feel after a colonic?
Most people experience a sense of levity after their colonic— a sense of lightness and openness within the abdomen and all throughout the body that truly needs to be experienced to be properly understood, as the feeling is somewhat indescribable. Joy, bliss, freedom are all words that come to mind. That being said, some people, especially those with chronic, long-term constipation and chronic inflammation throughout the digestive/eliminatory tract, and, or, in the body, will sometimes feel drained (no pun intended) and have the desire to rest afterwards. In this case, scheduling your first colonic on your day off, or after work, is recommended.
Our clients have reported experiencing...
- Less gas, bloating.
- Better digestion.
- Cessation of constipation.
- Clearer, brighter, eyes.
- Better, easier, more full bowel movements.
- Clarity and refinement of energy.
- Reduction or removal of “brain fog”.
- Feeling of lightness never before experienced in the body.
- Clearer, more radiant (often glowing) complexion.
- Disappearance of acne, eczema and psoriasis.
- Reduction in histamine response in the body (allergies).
- Reduction or removal of asthma or asthma-like symptoms.
- Reduction of inflammation in joints, and, or, throughout the body.
- Reduction of, or complete removal of, symptoms associated with IBS.
- Improvement in or disappearance of erectile dysfunction.
- Lifting of long-term depression, artistic, and or creative blocks.
- Removal of worms, bacterial and amoebic parasites, yeast and fungus.
- Reduction in heavy metals throughout the body.
- Inspiration to change lifestyle and diet that did not exist before colonic.
- Detoxification from prescription drugs and alcohol.
- Diminishment or cessation of pain in and around abdomen, hips, low-back (sacrum), mid-back, upper-right shoulder, neck and jaw.
- Diminishment in pain associated with Multiple Sclerosis
- Reduction in symptoms associated with PMS
- Reduction in pain and cramping associated with menstruation
- Improvement in posture.
Disclaimer: The results our clients have reported experiencing post-colonic have not been authenticated by the FDA or any legal, governing medical body or agency. A colonic is not a medical procedure. It is a holistic health practice, and as such, should not be utilized to diagnose, treat or cure any disease or symptom of disease. The above are experiences as related to us by our clients, which we are sharing with you, the public, so that you can make an informed decisions and choices in regards to your life, as your good health is your entitlement and direct responsibility.
- “How should I eat after a colonic?”
It is best to maintain a very simple diet after a colonic. Going out for beer and pizza (or something heavy and greasy like this) can be a very uncomfortable experience for some.
After a colonic, the body is left cleansed and purified, and is far more sensitive to foods and substances (like beer and pizza) that cause an inflammatory response within the digestive/eliminatory system. As in preparing for a colonic, it is best to simplify one’s diet.
One of the very best things we can consume after a colonic, aside from water, is freshly pressed vegetable juice. Freshly pressed, raw, organic juices are hydrating to the body and alkalizing to the bloodstream. As our blood becomes less acidic and more alkaline, the body is brought further into a state of balance, as most people’s bodies are too acidic to engender deep, profound wellness and vitality.
A colonic will also have a rapidly growing, positive effect on the cellular metabolism of the body due to the synergistic reflex it has on the liver, gall bladder and kidneys, which are the body’s filters. What this means to you, is that your body is going to be gently pushed into a profound healing response that can either be supported by your dietary choices or disrupted.
When we consume foods that are difficult to digest, inflammatory, sometimes literally toxic to our bodies, the healing response is cut short, and energy is directed away from the revitalization of our trillions of cells. Instead energy (and by this it is meant blood, specific enzymes, and other unique biochemical catalysts capable of repairing damage) is directed to the digestive organs and to the body’s immune system. If we choose to consume foods and substance which are harmful, if not outright toxic to the body, especially directly after a colonic, we mitigate the body’s ability to heal, and the downstream, repercussive benefit we might receive post-colonic.
That being said, avoid these foods and substance for at least 24 hours after colonic:
• Alcohol, including wine.
• Dairy products, except for plain yogurt and kefir.
• Beef, pork and all processed meats, especially those dosed with nitrates.
• All processed foods and drinks especially chips, cookies, cakes and baked goods, boxed cereals, including granolas, and most other things that come in a box or from the freezer section.